I started to learn programming in June of 2017, starting from zero background knowledge. This page will serve as a repository for my ongoing programming projects, and hopefully will chart advancing skill.
I am following several rules:
- No projects contain “black box” code that I do not understand. If something is in here, it is code I wrote and can understand.
- Every program here will solve a real problem I have. That’s not to say that they’ll be the best solution—they might be an inferior version of some app/tool available from someone else (maybe even freely available). But I’m posting anything here that I build as a pure programming exercise (though I am working through those too); I’m posting apps here that I built to actually use myself.
- I will keep all prior versions here, along with a copy of the code (either hosted here or through GitHub eventually) no matter how retrospectively embarrassing they become.
- I welcome comments and feedback. Somewhat embarrassingly, however, I cannot currently enable comments on this page. Having comments on pages is a option some themes provide, but the theme I’m using doesn’t. This means that I’ll need to either switch themes or learn a bit of PHP to enable comments here. That’s on the to-do list, but in the meantime, you can comment on the intro post and I’ll move the relevant comments here once we have comments on this page.
My current projects are:
- A Pomodoro Timer (Version 0.01 | source)
This is an app that runs an online timer to help people follow the pomodoro time management technique. The idea is that people doing any mentally taxing work should alternate between work periods of twenty-five minutes and “break” periods of five minutes to keep themselves as productive as possible. It doesn’t matter what you do during the breaks, so long as it is not mentally taxing in the same way as the work you’re doing. (I usually go to the bathroom, go get water/tea, or meditate.)